Jul 12, 2012
“I have an account on Google’s Blogspot service, and I’d like to create a second blog without opening an entirely new account. Does Blogspot allow multiple blogs, and how do I create a new one without disrupting my original blog?”
Blogspot (Blogger) is certainly one of the most popular free blogging services. It has a high level of flexibility, the name is recognizable and it gives you the ability to monetize your blog with advertisements in spite of the fact that you are not paying hosting or domain registration fees. One of the best aspects of Blogspot is the fact that you can create as many blogs as you like and write about multiple topics without confusing readers who may be interested in one topic and not another. Here’s how to do it.
Classic Blogspot Dashboard
If you’re using the Classic Blogspot Dashboard, you’ll see a screen like the one on the right when you log in to your account.
- Click the Create a Blog link near the top of the Blogspot Dashboard page.
- Type the desired name for your new Blogspot blog in the Blog Title field.
- Type the desired URL in the Blog Address (URL) field. For example, if you type the name myblog, the final blog address will be myblog.blogspot.com. Click the Check Availability link after typing the name to confirm that someone else doesn’t have it already.
- Type the letters shown in the image in the Word Verification field.
- Click Continue.
- Click the template that you would like to use for your new Blogspot blog.
- Click Continue.
- Click Start Blogging to begin creating the first post in your new blog.
New 2011 Blogspot Dashboard
If you’re using the new Blogspot Dashboard, you’ll see a screen like the one on the right when you log in to your account.
- Click the New Blog button on the left side of the page.
- Type the desired name for your new blog in the Title field.
- Type the desired URL in the Address field. If the URL is available, you’ll see the message This blog address is available. If the address is taken, you’ll have to choose another.
- Click the template that you would like to use.
- Click the Create Blog! button. This creates the blog and returns you to the Blogspot Dashboard.
- Click the orange button with a pencil icon to begin creating the first post in your new blog.